Incoming Mail Server
To enable reply-by email and posting to a category via email, you need a server to receive those messages so that Discourse can read them. One way to solve that problem is to have a service like Mailgun receive mail for your domain and to forward those messages to Gmail. You would then configure Discourse retrieve those messages via POP3. That requires the cooperation of several different systems. Another solution is to configure your Droplet to receive mail for your domain.
What You Get
When this is set up, your Discourse will allow people to reply to posts and personal messages via email. You will also be able to enable users to post to any category simply by entering the desired address in the category settings.
What I Do
- Configure a Docker container on your droplet to accept incoming mail as described here.
- Configure the Discourse settings required to retrieve mail from the mail server and enable users to reply via email
What You Do
- Before you place your order, create an MX record for your Discourse domain. Here is an example:
- DNS Name:
- Priority: 10
forum.example.com(this is the domain of your forum)
- DNS Name:
- Before you place your order, arrange for me to have root access to your droplet by logging in as root and typing:
- After I am finished, you might want to edit a category and add a Custom incoming email address. You can choose whatever address @forum.example.com and Discourse will handle it automatically.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.